Kitchens are the heart of most houses. Pancakes are made, dishes are washed, parties are partied, homework is done and breakfast is eaten here. Every inch matters. It is usually the most expensive room in the house, so the details have to be right for kitchen remodeling.
How much does a Kitchen cost?
The #1 question we get from people is the ever popular…wait for it… “How much is a kitchen remodel?”
Here are a few sample levels of construction complexity that affect the price.
Level 1: The Facelift $15-40k
New “surfaces” and fixtures, but no change in floor plan.
New sink and faucet
New countertops and backsplash
Refinished cabinets and flooring
New light fixtures
Level 2: Full Replacement $40-70k
Everything is replaced, and some floor plan changes happen.
All new surfaces
Level 3: Full Custom $60-100k
Everything is replaced, and completely redesigned.
Improved floor plan
All new surfaces
All kinds of sexy pieces
Of course, each kitchen (and client) is unique, and a personalized budget will be developed for your project during a collaborative design process.
Some of our favorite kitchen finish products and design elements:
- Quartz or wood countertop You will not believe the options available for countertops. If you are up for something creative, I can make you very happy.
- Pullouts and custom shelves Today’s cabinet can be up to 40% more space efficient with the right components inside.
- Dual fuel stove Gas is great in an oven, and electric boils water fast. Why not have your cake and eat it too?
- Pot filler There are few things in a kitchen that say “I’m a pro” like filling the pot while it is on the stove.
- Appliance Garage Keep the mixer and blender off the open countertop, but close at hand.
- Trash and recycling This should be happening easily in a pullout cabinet door.
- Concealed lighting and outlets The backsplash doesn’t need to be cluttered with outlets any more. Tuck them up under the upper cabinets for a clean look.
- Warming drawer Yep, it is what you think it is.
- Coffee Bar Water line, Keurig, espresso machine, all the accoutrements in one place, this is the life.
Kitchen Remodeling problems to avoid:
- DIY nightmare That Home Depot commercial makes is seem so easy. We get a lot of calls from people who discover there is more to a bathroom remodel than 30 seconds of an exciting song and Josh Lucas’s sexy voice. If this is something you are considering, call me in and I can help walk you through the pitfalls beforehand.
- Too cheap to be true We find a lot of advertisements out there for cheap Kitchen that trap a lot of people who just don’t know any different. Kitchens are probably the room in the house where the difference between quality to shoddy is most obvious.
- Tricky tile The most important part of tile is what is underneath it. On a floor, if the base moves at all, the tile will eventually crack and fall out.
- Ancient pipes On a quick switch out, it is tempting to leave the existing shutoffs and ignore the pipes in the wall. A new $5 shutoff is a lot cheaper than replacing the ceiling below.
- Spacing A kitchen lives and dies on layout. Put the dishwasher in the wrong place and you will curse yourself with every dirty dish. This is something that you will regret not leaving to a pro.
First, a few fyi’s. Deck railing looks really good, but it has a purpose. And that is to make sure…