By moving the stairs to the side of the home and pushing out the back a mere 8’, the floor space was more than doubled. The living, dining and kitchen areas were all visually connected, with a pantry, mudroom and laundry close by. The family’s bedrooms are all upstairs together now, with bright, sunlit rooms and ample storage.
Location: Prairie Village
Budget Range: $200,000-300,000
Project Description: Expanding a 1200 s.f. mid century home into a more generous 2700 s.f. 5 bedroom/3 bathroom house with room for the family.
Read more details about this project and see before and after pictures below.
- A relocated stair column that is filled with light
- A covered porch out back that is ready to be converted to a screened porch
- Outlets in the lockers work as charging stations
- Deep full extension drawers in the kitchen to store all the cookware
- River white granite in the kitchen
- Lower drawers under the vanity sinks exponentially increase bathroom storage
- Quarried stone mantle in the living room
- Wall paint color- Silver Fox from Benjamin Moore
Interesting detail: Because of the extensive re-work, the only thing still remaining of the original house was the first floor framing and the front wall. From there the new structure was created.
First Floor Plans Before and After